How to Get Rid of a Mattress in Laredo, TX (6 Local Options)
Getting rid of an old mattress in Laredo can be a challenge, as mattresses are large and difficult to dispose of. Many donation centers and landfills in the area no longer accept mattresses or have implemented strict laws or high fees.
However, luckily there are several companies throughout Texas that have popped up with options for mattress disposal, including recycling, donation, and removal services.
In this guide, we will explore the different ways to get rid of a mattress in Laredo, including where to donate or recycle a mattress, how to dispose of it in a landfill, and even a DIY option.
6 Ways to Dispose of a Mattress in Laredo
Option #1: A Bedder World Mattress Recycling (Laredo) – Curbside Pickup
A Bedder World offers curbside mattress removal and recycling services throughout Laredo and now the ENTIRE state of Texas!
You can easily book and pay for a pick up online with up front pricing here. Then simply put your mattress items outside by 8am on the day of pick up and the team will come by and grab them.
Bedder World takes mattresses, box springs, frames, beds, futons, bedding and MORE.
To date Bedder World has recycled over 1 million mattress items and saved over 26 million sq.ft. of landfill space.
- Serving Laredo and the entire state of TX (Including San Antonio, Austin, Dallas, Houston, Corpus Christi and more
- Over 1 million mattresses recycled
- Easy curbside pick up
- Book, Pay and Schedule Online
- Residential & Commercial
Option #2: Donate to Habitat for Humanity Restore of Laredo
If your mattress is in good condition you may want to consider donating it to someone who can use it. While the majority of donation centers throughout Laredo DO NOT accept mattresses, the Habitat restore thrift shop does accept them in GOOD CONDITION.
IMPORTANT: You mattress must be in nice condition and lightly used to be donated. This donation center will NOT accept mattresses that are older, have stains or rips or are not structurally sound.
Before donating your mattress, it is important to check with the organization to make sure they still accept mattresses and need them at that time. In addition, only donate mattresses that are in good condition, as organizations will not accept mattresses that are stained or damaged.
Option #3: City of Laredo Bulky Item Pick Up – Landfill
Up to 5 cubic yards……………………………………………$55.00 Minimum Charge
Each additional cubic yard or portion thereof…………………………….$11.0
Acceptable Bulky Items include:
–plastic swimming pools
–large household appliances.
How to Set Out Your Brush and Bulky Items
1. Customer must place all brush, debris, or bulky items at least 10 feet away from any large objects, such as parked cars, mailboxes, telephone connection boxes, water meters, fences, walls, overhead power lines, overhanging trees, etc.
2. Brush, debris, and bulky items must be accessible from the street and placed within the right-of-way. Materials will not be collected from within private property.
3. Brush, debris, and bulky items shall not be placed in such a manner so as to create a hazardous condition, such as blocking sidewalks, covering the street surface, or obstructing traffic.
Option #4: Drop Your Mattress at The City of Laredo Landfill
Address: Laredo, TX 78046
|Monday||8 AM–4:30 PM|
|Tuesday||8 AM–4:30 PM|
|Wednesday||8 AM–4:30 PM|
|Thursday||8 AM–4:30 PM|
|Friday||8 AM–4:30 PM|
|Saturday||8 AM–4:30 PM|
If you have a mattress that you no longer need and you’ve decided against recycling or donating it, you have the option to dispose of it at the Laredo Landfill.
This is a feasible option if you have a means of transportation. The vehicle used for transportation should be large enough to accommodate the mattress, such as a pickup truck or a van.
Option #5: Giveaway on Craigslist or Facebook
If your mattress is in usable condition and you think someone could get some more life out of it you can list it on one of the local marketplaces and likely have it taken off your hands pretty quickly. A lot of people are looking to get a deal on a mattress rather than spend hundreds or thousands on a new one.
Just be sure to take nice pictures and emphasize the cleanliness of your mattress to put their mind at ease. Who knows they may even pay you some cash for your mattress.
Option #6: DIY Mattress Recycling
Recycling a mattress yourself and getting rid of the materials in Laredo, is not an easy task, but it is possible with the right tools and knowledge of where to take them. Here are some steps on how to recycle a mattress yourself and how to dispose of the foam and metal inside:
- Disassemble the Mattress – The first step is to disassemble the mattress. Use a sharp utility knife or scissors to cut through the fabric and remove the outer layer of the mattress. Once you have removed the outer layer, you will be able to access the foam and metal springs inside.
- Remove the Foam – To remove the foam, use the utility knife or scissors to cut the foam into small pieces. You can then put the foam pieces in a large garbage bag or container to transport. If the foam is in good condition, you can take it to a carpet manufacturer for recycling into carpet padding.
- Remove the Metal Springs – To remove the metal springs, use pliers or a wire cutter to cut the springs into smaller pieces. You can then collect the metal pieces in a container for transporting to a recycler. Many scrap metal recycling centers in Laredo accept metal springs and will pay you for the metal.
- Dispose of the Remaining Materials – After you have removed the foam and metal, you will be left with the fabric covering and any other materials that were used in the construction of the mattress. These materials can be disposed of in your regular garbage or used for DIY projects.
It’s important to note that recycling a mattress yourself can be a time-consuming and difficult process, especially if you don’t have the right tools or experience. If you’re unable or unwilling to recycle a mattress yourself, you may want to consider hiring a professional mattress recycling service or contacting a local recycling center to see if they accept mattresses for recycling.
We know that throwing your old mattresses away is often much easier said than done, and we know just how daunting the task can be.
So, we hope that this guide has proven helpful and that you now feel fully equipped to dispose of your old mattresses in a way that is efficient and great for the planet.