(Top 7) Best “Japanese Buckwheat Pillows” to Buy Online | Ultimate Guide
Japanese pillows made with buckwheat filling are becoming extremely popular in the bedding space due to their unique health and sleep benefits. If you are curious to learn more about what what these pillows are and why they have become so popular then you are in the right place.
In this article we cover the unique benefits of Japanese buckwheat pillows as well as have compiled a list of 7 of the best buckwheat Japanese pillows that you can buy online, including a variety of different styles and materials.
So, without further ado, let us dive right in and get started!
What Makes Japanese Buckwheat Pillows Unique?
The main variety of pillow that the Japanese are well known for is the buckwheat pillow. This may sound strange as far as pillow fillings go but it is actually a very high end filling with many benefits. Many Japanese claim its their secret to a good night’s sleep.
While the majority of pillows are stuffed with feathers, polyester, memory foam or other materials this pillow is filled with buckwheat seeds. This unique filling makes the pillow feel a little like a beanbag for your head. Which is actually surprisingly comfortable.
It takes hundreds or even thousands of buckwheat husks to fill a single pillow but the shape of these seeds make for a pillow filling with loads of air pockets.
This supports your head in any desired sleeping position as well as creates optimal airflow. So you can be supported, comfortable and cool when you are sleeping.
On top of all that, buckwheat pillows are extremely clean and durable and can last up to ten years or more if you care for them properly. The engineering, design and comfort of these pillows is renowned.
There are quite a few different styles of buckwheat pillows to choose from with varying features and functions. We have included 7 different kinds so you can choose one that meets your needs and sleeping style.
Top 7 Japanese Buckwheat Pillows
Now that you know a bit about what makes Japanese buckwheat pillows unique and what products we are looking at, here is our team’s favorites.
1. Buckwheat Cylinder Neck Pillow – Sachi Organics
- Cylindrical shape easily contours around your neck and shoulders providing FIRM support
- Organic USA Grown Buckwheat Hulls
- Zipper Opening for Easy Adjustment of filling (add more or less to get desired height of pillow)
- Covered with an organic cotton fabric
- Handmade in USA.
This cylinder pillow filled with buckwheat may be just what you are looking for. This pillow is great when used as a neck roll pillow or as a standard head support. It is filled with buckwheat seeds and the exterior is made with organic cotton, so you are getting an organic and 100% non-toxic pillow to sleep on. This pillow comes at a mid level price point and is very highly reviewed by customers.
2. WheatDreamz Japanese Organic Cotton Buckwheat – Bean Products
- UNIVERSAL- A standard style pillow perfect for all types of sleepers.
- SOFT & FIRM SIDES – 2-sided reversible sides (soft and firm) – Use buckwheat filling on one side for a firmer feel or flip it over and have millet hulls for filling on the other side with a softer feel.
- ADJUSTABLE FILLING – The pure organic cotton fabric shell features a hidden zipper for complete adjust-ability to meet your preference. Simply unzip and remove filling to match your desired height and feel.
- MADE IN THE USA – 33 years of Made in America from the best eco-friendly materials available – sustainably sourced.
This is a great all around buckwheat pillow made with 2 sides for a softer or firmer feel. You can choose from millet or buckwheat sides. The exterior is covered with an organic cotton cover and is easily unzipped to adjust the amount of filling in the pillow to meet your preference.
3. Organic Buckwheat Round Neck Roll – Gneric
- Cotton & bamboo fabric cover
- The inner filling is 100% buckwheat husk
- Outer cover is easy to remove for washing.
- The inner cover zips open so that you can remove or add buckwheat to meet your needs.
- Roll style pillow for neck and shoulder pain relief.
This pillow is filled with buckwheat husk and is great for use as a neck pillow, leg pillow, travel pillow or standard style pillow. The pillow has 2 covers with the outer cover being easily removed and washed when needed. You can also unzip the inner cover and adjust the level of filling to meet your comfort needs.
4. Adjustable Buckwheat Pillow With Cotton Pillowcase – Ainilaus
- Adjustable thickness: Change the thickness by removing and adding buckwheat hulls to adjust the height and feel to meet your needs.
- Buckwheat hides move around and adjust easily within the pillow to comfortably fit your neck and head for a better night’s sleep.
- Organic – The pillow case material is 100% cotton. The pillow is filled with 100% natural buckwheat hulls, which are not compact and allow air to flow.
- Rolled pillows are ideal for neck, lumbar and leg support.
- Easy to clean: The outer cover of the buckwheat pillow is easy to remove and clean, and the inner pillow insert can be exposed to ventilation and dried in the sun for maintenance.
If you need another great option for a good quality cylinder pillow with buckwheat filling, this is going to be the perfect product for you. It has been designed to relieve neck pain and support your neck and spine. Like the other options it is also adjustable to different heights and feels by removing or adding filling.
5. Adjustable Buckwheat Cylinder Neck Pillow – ZHIWEIKJ
- Attach or unzip the pillow portion from the neck pillow portion for a customizable pillow
- Organic buckwheat pillow with organic buckwheat hulls
- The outer cover is removable and washable.
- One end is un-sewn so it allows you to remove the buckwheat hulls to your comfort level.
- The cylinder style helps to align your head and neck
You can’t get much better than a high quality organic buckwheat pillow like this. It has been designed so that you can adjust it to meet the needs of any style of sleeper from side to stomach or back.
6. Buckwheat Cooling Neck Pillow – Edomi
- Buckwheat hull filling will fit to the shape of your head and neck, and provide a firm, contour support.
- Regular use of buckwheat pillow can relieve neck, shoulders and back pain, and ease tension and strain through spinal alignment.
- Adjustable filling – unzip cover to add or remove buckwheat filling to get the right comfort, height and firmness.
- Breathable/cooling – The pillowcase is 100% breathable and cooling
- Buckwheat hulls move around easily, allowing for optimal air circulation, warm in winter and cool in summer.
- It works for every body position whether you’re a side, stomach or back sleeper, to provide maximum comfort.
- Perfect for your yoga pillow, meditation cushion or throw pillow.
This pillow is the perfect size for a variety of different uses and functions. You can use it as a yoga pillow a throw pillow or an every night sleeping pillow. The exterior is cooling a breathable while the interior is filled with 100% buckwheat hull that can be easily removed and adjusted.
Alternative Japanese Rattan Option:
7. Japanese Style Rattan Bed Pillow – Bamboo Park Japan
If you need something a little different, then this unique looking Japanese style rattan pillow may be right up your alley. It may look uncomfortable, but the woven basket-like material is actually quite comfortable and offers tons of support.
We hope that you have enjoyed reading this article and learning about the different uses and functions of Japanese buckwheat pillows and their sleep style. Each one of them has its own unique benefits.
By no means are these products going to suit the needs of everyone. There are countless pillows of similar design out there, and these are just a few of our favorite and highest reviewed options on the market.
So, if you did not see something here that you like, don’t worry. There is bound to be something that suits your needs. Regardless of whether you need a pillow that is functional or a pillow that is merely decorative.
With all of that said, we hope that you have found this article interesting and educational. If you want to learn more about bedding, pillows, mattresses and other related topics, make sure to visit our website.
We cover a wide variety of topics which you are bound to find interesting and useful.