© All rights reserved
6 Best "Duvet Inserts" for Each Type of Sleeper | Tested & Reviewed
Our favorite duvet inserts on the market
By TIM SUMERFIELD
When it comes to purchasing an insert for your duvet cover, there are a variety of options to choose from. Some sleep hot some sleep cool and some are great for year around use. Many duvet inserts look the same so it can be hard to tell what the difference is between them. We have analyzed all of the top companies on the market and have put together a list of our favorites to make your shopping experience as simple and painless as possible.
What is a duvet insert?
A duvet insert is simply a comforter that you slip inside of a duvet cover. Most duvet inserts are white or tan and made of a fluffy filling like down or eucalyptus. They are used as a comforter to keep you warm at night. Many duvet inserts are breathable and are meant for use in summer and winter months.
What is a duvet cover?
A duvet cover goes over your insert to keep it clean and protect it. Since most inserts are a standard white or cream color it also adds a design element to the insert.
What is a duvet?
A duvet is the combination of a duvet cover and duvet insert (AKA comforter) together. It is draped over your bed and used the same way you would use a comforter to keep you warm at night.
Does a duvet need an insert?
Generally a duvet cover needs a duvet insert, otherwise it would just be a loose piece of fabric. In hot summer months some people may choose to use their duvet cover as a light comforter without an insert inside.
Should you have multiple duvet inserts for different seasons?
Can a comforter go inside a duvet?
Yes a comforter can and should go inside your duvet cover. The cover will keep the comforter clean and will help to add an aesthetic appeal to your bedroom.
Are a comforter and a duvet the same thing?
A comforter and a duvet serve the same purpose and for the most part are the same thing. You can put a comforter inside of a duvet cover to keep is protected or can use a comforter on its own.
Things to consider when choosing a duvet insert:
Some duvet inserts are thicker and intended to be used during colder weather while others are thinner and intended for summer use. There are also 4-season inserts that are temperature regulating and meant to be used in all climates. Decide what degree of warmth you are looking to get out of your duvet and choose an insert that is right for you.
Duvet inserts are stuffed with a variety of different fillings to achieve different goals. Some to keep you warm, some to be light and breathable and others to be 100% organic. Decide what is most important to you and choose an insert that meets those needs.
Depending on the comforter insert you choose the pricing ranges quite dramatically. If you are looking for an insert that is 100% organic or 100% down then you will be spending more money than if you decide to go with a down alternative option such as eucalyptus.
6 Best Duvet Inserts
BEST ALL AROUND
What Customers love: Extremely comfortable and affordable year around duvet insert
- Built for all 4 seasons :”an all-season comforter that’s refreshingly cool on sweltering summer 🔥 nights, but seriously cozy on those chilly, winter ❄️ nights.”
- What’s inside : Sustainable, 100% Eucalyptus Lyocell shell made from trees grown in sustainably managed, boideverse, renewable farms.
- Corner loops to tie snugly inside your duvet cover.
- 100% Risk Free – Free shipping and free returns.
- Dry cleaning recommended but can be machine washed on cold occasionally if needed.
BEST TEMPERATURE REGULATION
What Customers love: Perfect for active individuals. Breathable and great at regulating body temperature year around.
Molecule is known for their breathable and moisture wicking sleep products. Their products are endorsed by a variety of athletes from Alex Morgan to Michael Phelps. Their comforter is perfect for athletes or individuals who want a breathable and moisture wicking comforter that still is able to keep you warm during the winter months.
- Built for year around use in all climates
- Utilizes a patented Tencel eco-friendly poly-puff filling.
- Amazing moisture wicking capabilities and breathability
- 30 day try before you buy risk free option. No money down.
- Great value for the money
BEST ORGANIC OPTION
What Customers love: 100% Organic merino wool. Great for all 4 seasons.
Sleep and Beyond is one of the most well known organic and natural bedding companies in the industry. Their sleep products are known and loved worldwide. The MyMerino wool comforter is perfect for individuals looking for a healthy and comfortable insert for their duvet. This comforter is perfect for all seasons and has all the relaxing and soothing benefits that merino wool provides.
- Great for all use during all 4 seasons
- 100% organic merino wool filling encased in 100% organic cotton sateen fabric
- World famous comforter with raving reviews
- 5 year warranty
- The breathability of the wool fiber in the myMerino Comforter insures a dry, soothing sleep environment resulting in less tossing and turning.
- Regulates body temperature by ensuring the body gets to a comfortable sleeping temperature quicker and stays there for longer.
- Has been scientifically tested and proven to slow your pulse rate which is a sign of deeper relaxation.
- Lasts for many years with proper care. Wool out-performs other fibers used for bedding.
BEST LIGHTWEIGHT SUMMER OPTION
What Customers love: Great for people who tend to sleep hot
If you live in a warmer climate or if you are one of the individuals who tends to sleep hot then this insert was made for you. With a light eucalyptus insert this comforter allows your body to breathe and stay cool while snuggling up. Buffy is one of the most well know and highly reviewed companies in the bedding space. They focus exclusively on comforters and making them as amazing as possible. With over 4000 5 star reviews you can’t go wrong choosing this comforter.
- Light and breathable, great for summer months
- Eucalyptus filling
- Free shipping free returns and a free 7 day trial
- Over 4000 5-star reviews
BEST LUXURY OPTION
What Customers love: Stuffed with luxurious down filling
Luxor linens provides the ultimate in luxury 100% goose down duvet inserts. Customers have the option to choose between a 900 fill comforter for year around use or a 600 fill lighter comforter for summer months. If you are looking for the ultimate luxurious comfort and prefer real down over a down alternative then this is the comforter for you.
- 2 options: Year around comforter or light weight summer comforter
- Made with 100% rare european goose down clusters
- Responsibly sourced materials
- Free shipping free returns and a 30 day free trial
BEST WEIGHTED COMFORTER
What Customers love: Great for easing anxiety
Weighted blankets are very popular right now. They are known for easing anxiety and aiding in a more restful sleep. Mosaic has expanded their weighted blankets into a weighted duvet insert that combines the comfort and size of a duvet with the benefits of a weighted blanket. The weighted comforter is one of their best sellers and is hands down the best weighted comforter on the market.
- Memory foam Pillow top
- Pocketed coil support system
- Cahsmere infused cover
- 365 night free trial with free shipping and free returns
- “Luxury firm” comfort level
- Perfect for majority of sleep preferences
Caring for your duvet insert
The majority of duvet inserts on this list are meant to be spot treated and professionally cleaned. Occasionally, you can machine wash them with cold water but that should only be when 100% necessary and professional cleaning isn’t available. The better care you take with your duvet the longer it will last. Many duvets last upwards of 5+ years if taken care of properly.
Getting rid of your old duvet
If you purchase a new duvet insert, chances are you may need to get rid of your old one. Many places do not accept mattresses or bedding for donation due to the scare of bed bugs. A Bedder World picks up and recycles old mattresses and will take your old duvet if you book a mattress removal , otherwise you will probably have to end up just throwing it out, as used bedding is hard to pass along.
Overall, choosing an insert for your duvet really comes down to personal preference in terms of material and price. There are a variety of reputable companies on the market offering quality products, whichever you choose from this list will be something you can be happy with but some have slight edges in features over the others.