© All rights reserved
Best Truck Bed Mattresses for Your Pickup
What to look for in a pickup truck mattress and where to buy one
If you are looking for a mattress to go in the bed of your pickup truck, then you have come to the right place. We have listed our favorite options for pickup truck mattresses. These mattresses are comfortable options that work great for the majority of standard pickup trucks and include everything from a “real” memory foam mattress to an inflatable option or a sleeping pad for easy portability. These beds will get you sleeping comfortably under the stars for many nights to come.
Top 5: Best Pickup Truck Mattresses
WHAT CUSTOMERS LOVE:
Available in a variety of different sizes and thicknesses to fit most truck beds
It can be hard to find a “real” mattress to fit in your truck bed. The blow up mattresses are great but can often deflate over time and are not as comfortable as a foam or innerspring mattress. The Wanderlust mattress comes in a wide variety of sizes. Simply measure your truck beds length and width between the wheel wells. Then choose a mattress size that will fit best. For extra short truck beds you may have to take a saw and cut a few inches of foam off (very easy to do) if you want to be able to close your truck bed all the way. The Wanderlust mattress is made of a dense support foam and a top layer of memory foam. It also has a zippered cover that can easily be unzipped and removed for cleaning.
BEST TRUCK BED AIR MATTRESS
WHAT WE LOVE: Deflates for easy portability. Fills the entire truck bed for an expanded sleeping surface.
Airbedz is probably the most well known brand in the truck mattress space. They were the innovators of the truck bed air mattress and have been making them for years. They make a variety of sizes in order to fit any size truck bed and they uniquely have cutouts in the sides in order to fit around the wheel wells and provide a sleeping space that fills the entire truck bed. Airbedz can easily be deflated and re-inflated for easy storage and portability.
WHAT WE LOVE:
Simple, affordable and versatile
Rightline has made an inflatable truck mattress that fits pretty much any size truck bed and that can easily be deflated and stored for portability. This may not be the most comfortable or the most extravagant truck bed mattress, but it is much more comfortable than sleeping on the truck bed floor and its affordable and versatile. If you are looking for an occasional sleeping option for your truck and aren’t worried about getting the top of the line option, then this is the best pick for you. Starting at only $66 this bed can’t be beat.
WHAT WE LOVE:
Folds up for easy portability and a variety uses. Can be used as a truck bed couch and mattress
The folding mattress by Best Choice comes in a variety of sizes and is a great option for putting in your truck bed. The mattress is soft yet firm and provides maximum comfort and padding while protecting your mattress from dust, pollen, pet dander, moisture, and other pollutants. Great as a convenient guest bed, a comfy camping bed, or as a floor sofa during movie nights and gatherings with friends and family
- PORTABLE AND SPACE-SAVING: Simply slip the included carrying case over the portable, tri-fold mattress and zip it up to keep it neat and secure while you travel
- WASHABLE COVER: The removable cover is machine-washable and dryer-friendly for easy care and maintenance
- EASY SETUP: Open package in well-ventilated area to release harmless odor that should dissipate within several hours.
WHAT WE LOVE:
Self-inflates and deflates. Available in single sleeper and double sleeper sizes.
This mattress can be inflated on its own without the need for a pump. It also easily deflates and can be rolled up and put in its included carrying bag for taking on the go. This bed is a perfect option for your truck bed to help add some additional padding. At 4 inches thick, it provides enough comfort while also being easy to pack. This pad is available in single size or double size options so can be great for one person or a couple to utilize in their truck bed.
What size mattress will fit in a truck bed?
A full or “double” size mattress will fit in just about any size truck bed and is a great sleeping option for 2 sleepers. A full size measures 54″ wide by 75″ long. An all foam full size mattress can easily be cut with a pair of scissors to fit a short truck bed if needed. A full XL mattress will fit in an extended truck bed and will give an extra 5″ of length for taller individuals. A full XL also works great in a standard truck bed when you put the tailgate down.
Does a queen size mattress fit in a truck bed?
A queen size mattress does not fit in a standard size truck bed. A queen will fit in some extended truck beds but it is important to measure the width and length to be sure. A queen mattress measures 60″ wide by 80″ long. To measure you will measure the width between your wheel wells and the length from top to bottom of the bed of your truck. Note that an all foam mattress will compress and can fit in spaces that are slightly smaller than its footprint.
How to measure your truck bed for a mattress
When measuring your truck bed for a suitable fitting mattress, you will measure the width and length. The width is measured by taking the distance between the innermost point of each wheel well. The length is taken by measuring the top of the bed to the bottom where the tailgate closes. It is important to note that an all foam mattress will compress and can fit snugly in an opening that is slightly smaller than its. footprint. You can also easily cut down a foam mattress with scissors to meet your sizing needs.
What are the different types of truck bed mattresses?
Pickup truck mattresses do not have any one perfect or exact solution. It is more of “what works best” scenario. Luckily there are many options on the market that work great as a truck bed mattress.
- Standard Full Size Mattress: A standard full size is going to be the most comfortable and most luxurious option for sleeping in your pickup. A full size mattress will fit almost any standard size truck perfectly. You can also opt for a full XL mattress if you have an extended truck bed. When choosing a mattress for your truck bed we always recommend picking an all foam mattress as it can easily be squeezed into small spaces or cut with scissors if needed.
- Air mattress: Airbedz has been at the forefront of air mattresses for your truck bed. Their mattress has slots for the wheel wells to fit in so that the bed expands the entire width of the bed of your truck. This gives you maximum sleeping space and the bed can be easily stored when not in use. The only downside to an airbed is that its, well, an airbed. Airbeds aren’t generally as comfortable as a standard mattress and you run the risk of them deflating or getting a hole over time.
Things to consider before purchasing a mattress for your pickup.
There are a variety of options when it comes to sleeping in your truck and each has its own benefits and downsides:
- Usage: How often will you be sleeping on this mattress? How long will it need to last? If you plan to sleep on this mattress for multiple nights in a row or want it to last for many years we recommend staying away from the entry level affordable mattresses. These entry level mattresses are intended for occasional use and won’t hold up as well as some of the higher end mattresses.
- Portability: Do you have room to store the mattress when not in use? If so you can go with one of the larger mattresses but if not. then you should opt for one of the deflatable mattresses that is easy to break down when not in use.
- Material: Do you need a “real” mattress or are you ok with sleeping on a pad or an air mattress. Each bed will. give a different feel so it is important to know your sleeping preferences.
Alternative options for purchasing a truck bed mattress?
If you prefer not to purchase your mattress online you can look for custom mattress factories in your area to build you a mattress you can test out before buying. A couple custom mattress manufacturers you can check out in person are:
Mattresses that fit in your truck bed are not standard within the industry. You will have to choose what option works best for your needs and make the best of it. As truck owners we are great at looking outside the box and taking things into our own hands to make them work. All of the beds in this list are great options and have positives and negatives.