How to Get Rid of a Mattress in Albuquerque (5 Local Options)
If you are looking for how to get rid of a mattress in the Albuquerque area you have come to the right place. We have listed 5 options that local residents can use to properly dispose on an old mattress from local curbside mattress recycling to drop off and donation options.
Option #1: A Bedder World Mattress Recycling – Curbside Pickup
Using A Bedder World for mattress disposal in Albuquerque is a great option that is convenient, affordable, and eco-friendly.
You can easily book and pay for a pick up online here.
You can now book this service throughout the entire state of New Mexico with pick up services offered 7 days a week.
Plus, you can feel good knowing that your mattress is being disposed of in a responsible and sustainable way. A Bedder World has recycled over 1 million mattresses to date and saved over 26 million sq.ft. of landfill space.
- Serving the entire state of New Mexico
- Over 1 million mattresses recycled to date
- Easy online booking with up front prices
- Curbside pickup
- Residential and Commercial Services
Option #2: Drop off at an Albuquerque Donation Center
IMPORTANT: Many donation centers in Albuquerque are becoming more strict on what mattresses they accept if at all. The mattresses they do accept MUST be in great condition and free from any stains, rips or tears. Call them before heading over to make sure your mattress will qualify for donation.
There are a few places in Albuquerque, NM where you can donate a mattress in good condition. Here are some options:
- Goodwill: Goodwill accepts donations of mattresses in good condition. They will inspect the mattress to make sure it meets their quality standards before accepting it. You can find a Goodwill location near you by visiting their website.
- Salvation Army: The Salvation Army also accepts donations of mattresses in good condition. They have several locations in Albuquerque where you can drop off your donation. You can find a Salvation Army location near you by visiting their website.
- Joy Junction: Joy Junction is a homeless shelter in Albuquerque that accepts donations of mattresses in good condition. They provide shelter and support to homeless families and individuals in the area. You can contact Joy Junction to arrange a donation.
- Habitat for Humanity ReStore: The Habitat for Humanity ReStore accepts donations of gently used furniture, including mattresses. They sell these items to raise funds to support their mission of building affordable housing in the community. You can find a ReStore location near you by visiting their website.
- Furniture on Consignment: Furniture on Consignment is a consignment store that accepts donations of gently used furniture, including mattresses. They sell these items in their store and share the proceeds with the donor. You can contact Furniture on Consignment to arrange a donation.
Before donating a mattress, make sure to check the organization’s donation guidelines to ensure that your mattress meets their requirements. Also, keep in mind that some organizations may not accept certain types of mattresses, such as those with stains or damage.
Option #3: City of Albuquerque Drop at Landfill Or Bulky Pick Up
We always recommend recycling or donating your mattress before sending it to the landfill. Mattresses do not compress well in the landfill and are becoming a major problem that cities and governments across the US are beginning to make laws against.
The Solid Waste department provides three convenience centers in the City where residents and small commercial haulers can drop-off trash. Eagle Rock Convenience Center also functions as an additional drop-off site for recycling.
Drop-Off Locations & Hours
Eagle Rock Convenience Center – View map
6301 Eagle Rock NE (North off I-25 & Alameda to Eagle Rock)
Phone: (505) 768-3925
Open 7 days a week 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Vehicles arriving after 4:30 p.m. will not be admitted.
Don Reservoir Convenience Center – View map
117 114th SW (West of 98th off West Central Ave.)
Phone: (505) 768-3920
Open 7 days a week 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. No recyclables accepted. Vehicles arriving after 4:30 p.m. will not be admitted.
Montessa Park Convenience Center – View map
3512 Los Picaros SE (Rio Bravo West to Broadway, South to Bobby Foster Road.)
Phone: (505) 768-3930
Currently open 5 days a week (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday) 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. No recyclables accepted. Vehicles arriving after 4:30 p.m. will not be admitted.
Bulky Pick up Service & Guidelines
Call 311 or schedule a pick up online
- Place large items on the curb five feet away from other carts, mailboxes, fire hydrants, parked cars, low hanging trees, or utility poles so trucks can easily access.
- Requests must be made Monday-Saturday at least 24 hours in advance.
- Contaminated items will not be collected.
- Empty all appliances before placing them on the curb.
- No more than a standard pick-up load may be collected.
Option #4 Sell or Giveaway on Craigslist or Facebook
If you’re looking to get rid of or sell a mattress, Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace can be great options. Here’s how to do it:
- Before posting your mattress on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace, take some photos of it. Make sure to take clear, well-lit photos from multiple angles, including the top, bottom, and sides of the mattress.
- Write a detailed description of your mattress, including the size, brand, and any other relevant information. Be honest about the condition of the mattress and any flaws it may have.
- Decide on a price for your mattress. Look at similar mattresses for sale in your area to get an idea of what to charge. Be willing to negotiate with potential buyers.
- Post your listing on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace. Include the photos and description you created, along with your contact information. Make sure to specify whether you’re willing to deliver the mattress or if the buyer will need to pick it up.
- If a buyer decides to purchase your mattress, arrange for pickup or delivery. If you’re delivering the mattress, make sure to take appropriate safety precautions and ask for payment in advance. If the buyer is picking up the mattress, make sure to give them clear instructions and be available to help load the mattress into their vehicle.
Selling or getting rid of a mattress can be a simple process if you use Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace. Just be sure to take clear photos, write a detailed description, and be responsive to potential buyers.
Option #5: DIY Mattress Recycling
Recycling a mattress yourself may take some effort, but it’s a great way to keep it out of a landfill and reduce your environmental impact. Here’s how to recycle a mattress yourself:
- Start by disassembling the mattress as much as possible. Use a utility knife to cut through the fabric and a pair of scissors or pliers to remove any staples or nails.
- Separate the materials into different piles. Foam and metal can both be recycled.
- If you plan to recycle the foam, you’ll need to prepare it for recycling. Cut it into small pieces and bag it up. You can then take it to a carpet manufacturer or recycling center that accepts foam for carpet padding or insulation.
- Take the metal springs to a scrap metal yard for recycling. Be sure to call ahead to find out what types of metal they accept and any preparation requirements.
- The fabric from the mattress can be disposed of in your regular trash. If possible, you can also try to find a textile recycling center that accepts fabrics for recycling.
Recycling a mattress yourself may take some effort, but it’s a great way to reduce your environmental impact and keep waste out of landfills. Make sure to follow any guidelines for mattress recycling in your area and dispose of any non-recyclable materials properly.
There you have it, 5 great local options for disposing of a mattress in the Albuquerque area. We hope this guide gave you some resources that will work well for you and your specific needs. Best of luck!