© All rights reserved
(Top 9) Best Folding Beds: Space Saving & Amazingly Comfortable
A thorough review of our favorite folding bed options on the market
In this post we will list our favorite beds that are able to fold up when not in use. These beds are great for house guests, travel or for use in kids sleepovers. Each bed folds in a unique way and has its own unique benefits. Hopefully this post can help you find one that meets your space-saving needs.
- BEST OF THE BEST – The Diplomat Folding Bed
- BEST BUDGET OPTION – Lesuit Rollaway Bed
- MOST VERSATILE – The Trifold Sofa by GIA
- MOST PORTABLE – Milliard Tri-fold Mattress
- BEST FOR LARGER PEOPLE OR COUPLES – Giantex Memory Foam Tri-Folding Mattress
- MOST FUNCTIONAL – The Queen Size Murphy “Cube”
- BEST MURPHY BEDS – Nestar Murphy Beds
- BEST FOR CAMPING & OUTDOOR – The Alpcour Cot
- BEST FOR KIDS – My Cot by Regalo
9 Best Folding Bed Options
1. The Diplomat Folding Bed (Twin Size) with Luxurious Memory Foam Mattress by Milliard
BEST OF THE BEST
What customer love: Very sturdy and supportive frame. Comfortable mattress.
The diplomat fold up bed comes in at our number one option for the best overall fold up sleep system. It comes with a twin size folding frame as wall as a 4″ memory foam mattress included. Customers love how sturdy this fold up bed is and have raving reviews about how comfortable the mattress is. Milliard makes all sorts of sleep products and has a great reputation in the mattress industry for providing high quality sleep products at affordable prices. Based on the price and all of the features this bed offers we have ranked the Diplomat as our Best of the Best Fold up bed option on the market.
The Frame: The wheels on the bottom of the frame make it easy to roll in and out of storage and come with a safety locking feature that ensures the frame will stay put. The bed also folds up to only 14″ thick for easy storage in a closet or under a bed. The frame on the diplomat also utilizes 4 sets of support bars as well as lattice style wired base to ensure there is zero sagging and optimal support for even the heaviest of sleepers. One of the most common statements in customer reviews is how sturdy this bed is.
The Mattress (Included): The 4″ mattress is included with your purchase and is made with memory foam, as well as a non-slip bottom fabric and a soft polyester cover to give the sleeper maximum comfort.
2. Rollaway Guest Bed with Memory Foam Mattress – by Leisuit
BEST BUDGET OPTION
What customers love: Affordably priced, no assembly required and folds up very small.
Tthe Lesuit fold up guest bed is about half the cost of the Milliard mattress set shown in number 1. While the mattress is not quite as thick, you still get a great quality fold up bed set for a fraction of the cost. The greatest elements of this bed are its ease of setup and small footprint. The bed comes folded up and can be ready for sleeping in only 5 minutes. When folded in half the bed bed is a meager 6.5″ which makes it extremely easy to fit in a closet or underneath a bed. The Lesuit fold up bed comes with a 3″ memory foam mattress that is great for supporting the average size sleeper.
3. The Trifold Sofa by GIA
What customers love: Multiple functions and very comfortable to sleep on.
The Trifold sofa bed by GIA functions as a chair as well as a lounge chair and a bed. This chair is perfect for daily use within the home and is a great option to unfold when you need to accommodate an additional guest. GIA has made it available in a variety of different fabrics and finishes as well as made the legs of the chair optional.
BEST PORTABLE OPTION
What customers love: Easy to fold up and take anywhere. Quality memory foam mattress.
This fold up mattress by Milliard is easy to fold up and take on the go or to put in the closet for when a guest comes over. The mattress folds into three layers and comes with a carrying handles for easy portability. The mattress is made to be put directly on the floor and is 6″ thick with memory foam for a comfortable sleep for sleepers of all weights. At 75″ long this mattress will comfortably fir sleepers up to 6′. If you are looking for a longer mattress you can see our suggestion for larger individuals and couples.
5. Giantex 6″ (Queen Size) Tri-Folding Memory Foam Mattress with Bamboo Cover
BEST FOR LARGER SLEEPERS OR COUPLES
What customers love: Affordable and large enough for all guests.
Giantex has made the ultimate tri-folding queen size mattress. It is made with a removable bamboo cover for easy washability as well as a 4.5″ of support foam with 1.5″ of memory foam for the an extremely comfortable nights sleep for individuals and couples of all sizes. The mattress also comes with a zip up transport bag that keeps the mattress clean during storage and makes it easy to take on the go.
6. Queen Size Murphy “Cube” & Mattress by Night & Day Furniture
What customers love: Beautiful quality furniture. Easy to pack and unpack the mattress.
Night and Day furniture made this foldable mattress and “Murphy Cube” as an option for those who do not have a convenient place to store their mattress. The mattress easily fits inside the murphy cube when not in use and functions as a piece of furniture. Simply pop the top off and lay the mattress out when ready for bed and fold up during the day. This allows those with small living areas to have a non-intrusive sleeping option for themselves or guests. The product includes both the Murphy cube and the mattress which is a standard queen size. The cube also is available in multiple finishes to match your living area and style.
7. Murphy Beds by Nestar
BEST MURPHY BED COMPANY
What customers love: Elegant design and affordable for a murphy bed.
The Nestar’s fold up wall bed, or “Murphy Bed” as they are called, are a great option for those will small living quarters who are looking for a way to integrate another sleeping accommodation into their home. The Nestar provides a sleek looking wall unit when closed and a fancy looking headboard when open. The modern style mixed withe the functionality of a murphy bed makes this company our favorite Murphy Bed manufacturer on the market.
8. Folding Camping Cot by Alpcour
BEST FOR CAMPING & OUTDOOR USE
What customers love: Comfortable pillow included. Very sturdy and easy to fold up.
This fold up cot by Alpcour is the real deal for those on the go our spending nights out under the stars. The alpcour can accommodate individuals over 6′ tall while also folding into a 40″ by 7″ bag that you can take with you on the go. Thisd cot comes with a sturdy leg system, a waterproof cover and a built in pillow. With over 400 5-star reviews the Alpcour cot is our top pick for a folding camping bed.
9.”My Cot” Travel Bed by Regalo
BEST FOR KIDS
What customers love: Very affordable and the perfect size for kids.
The my cot by Regalo is the perfect little cot to have at the house for any additional little ones you may have staying over. It is small, compact and affordable and offers a sturdy nights sleep for young kids. This cot has over 1,000 5-star reviews and has raving reviews from the customers who have used it. You can’t find many cheaper sleeping solutions other than sleeping on the floor.
When would you use a fold up bed?
A fold up bed can be advantageous for many reasons, besides just making a small living quarters seem larger. Similar to a cot, it takes up much less space when its not in use. A folding bed can also be something that you bring with you on the go or from home to home if you move a lot. The quality of many of these beds also makes them a perfect option to use as a primary sleeping bed. The majority of people choose to use a fold up bed as an option for housing guests. It is always nice to have an additional comfy place for people to sleep incase you happen to have more guests than beds.
The different types of fold up beds
Fold up beds are just as they sound. A bed that folds up into a smaller bed when it is not in use. While we may all be familiar with rollaway beds or murphy beds, there are a lot of other options for folding beds that are available on the market today.
A rollaway bed is essentially a twin size platform bed with wheels that folds in half when its not is use. A rollaway bed is perfect to pull out when extra guests come over who need a place to sleep. They fold up small enough to easily fit in a closet or bed when not in use and have become high enough quality to where they actually provide a quality nights sleep.
A tri-folding mattress is somewhat new to the fold up mattress industry. Available in Twin, Full and Queen sizes, a tri-fold mattress provides the comfort of a standard mattress with the convenience and space saving aspects of a folding bed.
A murphy bed is essentially a mattress that can fold up and be hidden in a furniture piece. The murphy bed industry has come a long way over the years and today they have expanded into cabinets, coffee tables, ottomans and many other pieces of furniture that can hide a mattress. We have listed a few of our favorite Murphy style fold out beds in the list below.
A cot bed is the smallest of the the fold up bed family. A cot is used mainly for travel or camping purposes but can be great to have in the house as well for any guests who may need it. Cots fold up extremely small and can easily be housed in a small closet or under a bed.
Things to consider before buying a folding bed
There are many folding beds on the market that provide different features and functionalities. Each style of fold up bed has a different function and therefore should be used for different situations. Before purchasing a folding bed you need to analyze a few important factors.
- Mattress Quality – How high quality does the mattress need to be? Will this be a place that a child is sleeping on for one night or an adult friend for a week? Trifolding mattresses tend to be the highest quality sleeping surface but will be the most expensive, while a cot may be affordable and easy to move but doesn;y offer much in terms of long term comfort.
- Bed Size – How many people will be sleeping on the bed and what size bed will accommodate them? Many of the beds listed below are available in twin or queen size versions. Make sure the bed you choose is able to fit the type of people that will be using it.
- Ease of Use – How easy do you want set up to be? Who will be moving the bed? Most of the beds on this list are built for easy set up and take down but make sure you choose a bed set that is easy for the intended user to maneuver.
- Storage Size – What size room will this bed be in and how much room is available for storage. The amount of room that a murphy bed and a cot bed take up is very different so be sure you know the amount of storage space you have available.
- Frame Type – From metal frames to no frame at all, these beds all have a different type of frame that they utilize. While a tri-fold mattress is intended to sit on the floor, a rollaway bed sits off the ground and has a metal base with wheels. Understand your needs and choose a bed frame that is right for you.
- Weight – Will you be carrying or traveling with the bed? How easy does it need to be to move? We have listed a variety of beds from light to heavy below so be sure to choose one that fits your needs when it comes to portability.
- Price – How much are you wanting to spend? Options below range from $25 to $2000. While you generally do get what you pay for when it comes to quality sometimes you may not need the fanciest sleeping accommodation if it is only used on rare occasions.
Overall, which fold up bed you choose really depends on your specific sleeping needs. Each option above provides different benefits and downsides that you can analyze and use to choose the right bed for yourself. The variety of folding bed options on the market today allows us to find a solution that is perfect for all needs.