The 5 Best “Airbnb” Mattresses (According to SuperHosts)
WHY TRUST OUR OPINION?
1) We have personally tested every mattress on this list as well as every popular option on the market.
2) Our nationwide mattress recycling company works with short term rental & property management companies throughout the country. We have first hand experience understanding which mattresses Airbnb customers are liking most and which products are holding up best.
As an Airbnb host, providing a comfortable and restful sleeping experience for your guests is of utmost importance. One of the critical components contributing to a pleasant stay is the mattress. Choosing the right mattress can significantly impact your guests’ overall satisfaction, leading to positive reviews and repeat bookings.
In this guide, we will discuss the essential factors to consider when selecting a mattress for your Airbnb, including types, budget, longevity, and more, to help you make an informed decision that meets the needs of a majority of guests.
Top 5: Best Airbnb Mattresses
1. The Original Mattress by Puffy
GREAT VALUE MEMORY FOAM MATTRESS
The Puffy Original Mattress is a luxurious memory foam mattress at a great price. It has a medium-firm feel and is a perfect comfort level for the majority of sleepers. Puffy’s memory foam design conforms to your body and is great for kids or adults. Puffy is a reputable brand name in the industry and has won a variety of awards for the quality of their US made sleep products.
- Medium-firm feel fits all sleep types
- Multiple awards for best all around mattress
- 100% made in the USA!
- Breathable and cooling
- Firm supportive base foam
- Stain-resistant cover
- Donates beds to children in need
What our testers are saying:
The Puffy Original Mattress is a great all around mattress for the vast majority of sleepers and preferences. The medium-firm feel combined with the adaptability of memory foam makes it very universal in its comfort. The price point of the Puffy is also a great “Bang for Your Buck” option and will be a value friendly mattress that holds up for many years to come and through many guest turnovers. The cover is easily unzipped and removed for washing when needed. The memory foam is not only comfortable but is often highly enjoyed by guests as a unique perk that they may not have experienced before.
2. The Dreamfoam Essential by Brooklyn Bedding
This may be the best budget friendly mattress on the market. The combination of high density support foam and memory foam comfort layers makes for a supportive, pressure relieving sleep experience. If you like the feel of memory foam and are looking for an affordable sleeping option then this is the best mattress you will find. Brooklyn Bedding makes all of their mattresses in their own factories in Arizona and are able to cut out the middle man and offer customers factory direct prices.
- Budget friendly price point
- High quality, supportive memory foam design
- Made in the USA (Arizona Factory)
- Available in custom sizes and thicknesses
What our testers are saying:
The Dreamfoam mattress is probably the best “bang for your buck” mattress on the market. Not only is the level of quality and materials used very high end, it is also 100% made in the USA at their factory in Arizona, which is pretty much unheard of at this price point. The mattress uses a high density support foam on the bottom layer to support even the heaviest of sleepers and then provides a luxurious high quality layer of memory foam on top for comfort and pressure relief. The cover is very soft and easily unzips for washing/cleaning. This mattress comes in a variety of thickness options and sizes (we recommend at least a 10″ thickness for one that adults you will be sleeping on.
3. The Helix Midnight LUXE
The Helix Midnight LUXE is their most awarded mattress and is a great all around mattress in our opinion. This mattress is going to have a medium-firm feel which is perfect for most sleep preferences and styles. The individually wrapped coil support system provides the support and bounce of a traditional innerspring unit but has the bonus of "zoned" support which means it perfectly supports and gives to the natural curvature of your body, allowing for industry leading spinal alignment and pressure relief. Helix also offers a softer and firmer option in their LUXE lineup if you prefer something on one of the other ends of the firmness spectrum. Overall, our team loves this mattress and many of our employees choose this exact mattress in their own homes at night.
- Medium-firm feel
- Made in the USA
- Cooling/Breathable cover
- Highly awarded and reviewed
- "Zoned" lumbar support coils for luxury support and pressure relief
- Premium quilted pillow top
- Hypoallergenic cover
What our testers are saying:
The Midnight LUXE is our testers favorite all around hybrid mattress and is the one many of our team choose to sleep on every night. This is one of the most universally liked and recommended mattresses in the industry. It is supportive while still being comfortable and has a mix of pocketed coils and a memory foam pillow top, to give support and pressure relief. This mattress was made specifically for sleepers who prefer a medium firmness, giving them the best of both worlds in terms of support and pressure relief. The zoned pocketed coil system works to add extra support under the hips and shoulders to keep a flat and straight spine.
What Customers love: Luxury pillow-top comfort. Great for all sleeping types
4. The Birch Natural Mattress by Birch
The Birch Natural mattress is a high quality natural mattress at a highly competitive price point. The wrapped coils provide a luxuriously supportive base that offers industry leading spinal alignment and cradles the natural curves of the body. Birch has built this mattress around optimizing pressure relief with the use of natural latex and wool comfort layers. Latex is one of the best foams on the market for providing pressure relief while still being supportive. The wool adds comfort while naturally wicking moisture and sleeping cool. Birch then has topped the mattress off with an organic cotton cover, making is naturally hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant. This mattress is a great all-around natural option for anyone looking for a medium-firm hybrid mattress that is chemical free.
- 100% Made in the USA
- Supportive, hybrid wrapped coil design
- Luxury pressure relief
- Natural and Organic Materials (Latex, Organic Wool & Cotton)
- Universal "Medium-Firm" Feel
What our testers are saying:
For Airbnb hosts who prioritize sustainability and natural materials in their accommodations, the Birch Natural Mattress is an exceptional choice. This eco-friendly mattress, made from organic and responsibly sourced materials, offers a comfortable and healthy sleep environment for your guests while minimizing environmental impact. Here’s why the Birch Natural Mattress is a fantastic option for Airbnb hosts seeking a natural mattress.
- Organic and natural materials: The Birch Natural Mattress is made using GOTS-certified organic cotton, OEKO-TEX Standard 100 certified natural Talalay latex, and ethically sourced New Zealand wool. These materials are not only sustainable but also hypoallergenic, ensuring a comfortable and healthy sleep environment for your guests.
- Breathability and temperature regulation: The combination of natural latex and wool helps regulate temperature and promotes excellent airflow. These materials wick away moisture and dissipate heat, providing a cool and comfortable sleep experience for guests.
- Pressure relief and support: The natural latex layer in the Birch Natural Mattress offers exceptional pressure relief and support, conforming to the body’s contours and alleviating pressure points. This ensures that guests of all sleep positions enjoy a restful and rejuvenating night’s sleep.
- Durability: The use of high-quality natural materials and meticulous craftsmanship ensures that the Birch Natural Mattress is long-lasting and maintains its performance over time, even with frequent guest turnover.
- Eco-conscious brand: By choosing the Birch Natural Mattress, Airbnb hosts are supporting a brand that prioritizes environmental sustainability and ethical practices. The company is committed to using responsibly sourced materials and adheres to stringent environmental standards, ensuring a lower carbon footprint and a cleaner, greener sleep experience.
5. The Sedona Luxury Hybrid
LUXURY SUPPORT AND COMFORT
The Sedona mattress is Brooklyn Beddings most luxurious mattress in their lineup. The Sedona offers premium comfort layers with a top quality pocketed coil innerspring support. With over 1000 pocketed coils this inner spring unit is going to conform to your body and align your spine as you move. The gel infused memory foam comfort layers also offer pressure relief and cooling capabilities.
- Luxurious, handcrafted mattress with resort style comfort
- Pairs premium foams and a high-end coil system
- Made in the USA
- Great value
Thoughts from our testers:
The Sedona hybrid is by far the most luxurious and supportive mattress we have tested for the price. This mattress provides the luxurious pocketed coil comfort you would find in a hotel and brings it to your guests.
For Airbnb hosts who want to offer their guests a luxurious sleep experience, the Sedona Hybrid Mattress is an excellent choice. This premium mattress combines the best features of memory foam and innerspring mattresses, delivering exceptional comfort and support for a truly memorable stay. Here’s why the Sedona Hybrid Mattress is an outstanding luxury option for Airbnb properties.
- Hybrid design: The Sedona Hybrid Mattress combines the contouring and pressure-relieving properties of memory foam with the responsive support of innerspring coils. This hybrid design caters to a wide range of sleep preferences, ensuring that every guest enjoys a restful night’s sleep.
- Optimal support and comfort: The mattress features multiple layers of high-quality foam that conform to the body and alleviate pressure points. The individually wrapped coils provide targeted support, adjusting to each guest’s unique shape and weight distribution for superior spinal alignment and comfort.
- Temperature regulation: The Sedona Hybrid Mattress is designed with a cooling gel-infused memory foam layer and breathable innerspring coils, promoting excellent airflow and temperature regulation for a comfortable sleep environment.
- Motion isolation: The combination of memory foam and individually wrapped coils helps minimize motion transfer, allowing guests to sleep undisturbed even if their partner moves during the night.
- Premium materials and craftsmanship: The Sedona Hybrid Mattress is made from high-quality, durable materials, ensuring a long-lasting and luxurious sleep experience for your guests. The attention to detail and craftsmanship is evident in every aspect of the mattress, making it a standout choice for Airbnb hosts seeking a high-end option.
Types of Mattresses
There are several types of mattresses available on the market, each with unique features and benefits. When selecting a mattress for your Airbnb, consider the following options:
A. Innerspring Mattresses:
These traditional mattresses use a system of steel coils to provide support and comfort. They are widely available, affordable, and offer good breathability. However, they may not provide the same level of motion isolation as other mattress types.
B. Memory Foam Mattresses:
Memory foam mattresses contour to the body, providing excellent pressure relief and motion isolation. While they are highly comfortable, they can retain heat, which may be uncomfortable for some guests.
C. Latex Mattresses:
Latex mattresses offer a combination of support, comfort, and durability. They provide excellent pressure relief, motion isolation, and breathability. However, they can be more expensive than other mattress types.
D. Hybrid Mattresses:
Hybrid mattresses combine the support of innerspring coils with the comfort of memory foam or latex layers. These mattresses provide a good balance of comfort, support, and breathability but may be pricier than innerspring or memory foam options.
How much to spend on an Airbnb Mattress
The amount you should spend on mattresses for your Airbnb depends on several factors, including your budget, the quality and comfort level you want to provide to your guests, and the target market for your rental property.
As a general guideline, you can expect to spend anywhere between $300 to $1,000 or more per mattress. Mid-range mattresses typically cost around $500 to $800, offering a balance between comfort, quality, and affordability.
When determining your budget for mattresses, consider the following…
- Guest expectations: Higher-end rental properties may require more luxurious mattresses, while budget-friendly accommodations can opt for more cost-effective options.
- Overall quality of your Airbnb: The mattress should align with the overall quality and style of your rental property. A comfortable and high-quality mattress can be a significant selling point for your property.
- Local market competition: Research other rental properties in your area to gauge the standard of mattresses provided and ensure your property remains competitive.
- Longevity and durability: Investing in a higher-quality mattress may have a higher upfront cost but can provide better value over time due to increased durability and guest satisfaction.
Remember that a comfortable and supportive mattress can directly impact your guests’ experience, leading to positive reviews and repeat bookings. While it’s essential to work within your budget, investing in a quality mattress can be a worthwhile decision for your Airbnb property.
Hybrid vs Memory Foam Mattresses for an Airbnb
When choosing between all-foam and hybrid mattresses for your Airbnb, consider the advantages and drawbacks of each type to determine which option best suits your guests’ needs and preferences.
- Pressure Relief: All-foam mattresses, particularly those made of memory foam, contour to the body, providing excellent pressure relief and reducing the chance of sore spots.
- Motion Isolation: Foam mattresses absorb movement well, ensuring that guests sharing a bed won’t be disturbed by their partner’s movements throughout the night.
- Noise Reduction: Foam mattresses are virtually silent, which can be an important factor in providing a quiet and peaceful sleeping environment for your guests.
- Heat Retention: Memory foam mattresses are known to retain heat, which may be uncomfortable for some guests, especially in warmer climates or during summer months.
- Limited Edge Support: Foam mattresses often lack strong edge support, which can lead to a feeling of instability when sitting or sleeping near the edge of the bed.
- Balanced Comfort and Support: Hybrid mattresses combine the support of innerspring coils with the comfort of memory foam or latex layers, offering a well-rounded sleeping experience for guests.
- Breathability: The coil system in hybrid mattresses allows for better airflow, reducing heat retention and providing a cooler sleeping surface.
- Edge Support: Hybrid mattresses generally provide stronger edge support compared to all-foam options, giving guests a more stable surface to sleep on.
- Price: Hybrid mattresses can be more expensive than all-foam options, which may be a concern for hosts on a budget.
- Potential for Motion Transfer: While hybrid mattresses often include layers designed to minimize motion transfer, they may not isolate motion as effectively as all-foam mattresses.
When selecting a mattress for your Airbnb, consider factors such as guest preferences, budget, and climate. A medium-firm hybrid mattress can be a versatile choice, offering balanced comfort and support suitable for a wide range of sleepers. However, if motion isolation and pressure relief are top priorities, an all-foam mattress may be the better choice. In either case, investing in a quality mattress can significantly enhance your guests’ experience and contribute to positive reviews and repeat bookings.
Buying an Airbnb Mattress in Store vs Online
When purchasing a mattress for your Airbnb, both in-store and online shopping options have their advantages and disadvantages. Consider the following pros and cons to determine which method best suits your needs and preferences.
- Try Before You Buy: In-store shopping allows you to test the mattress’s comfort, support, and overall feel, ensuring that it meets your expectations and the needs of your guests.
- Expert Assistance: Store salespeople can provide valuable information and recommendations based on your specific requirements, helping you make an informed decision.
- Instant Availability: Purchasing a mattress in-store means you can take it home or arrange for delivery immediately, without waiting for shipping.
- Limited Selection: Physical stores may have a limited range of mattress brands and models available, which can restrict your options.
- Potentially Higher Prices: Brick-and-mortar stores may have higher overhead costs, resulting in higher prices compared to online retailers.
- Sales Pressure: In-store salespeople may pressure you to make a purchase, which can make the shopping experience less enjoyable and potentially lead to hasty decisions.
- Broader Selection: Online shopping offers access to a wide range of mattress brands and models, allowing you to find the perfect fit for your Airbnb.
- Competitive Pricing: Online retailers often have lower overhead costs and can offer competitive pricing, sales, and discounts, helping you save money on your mattress purchase.
- Convenience: Shopping for a mattress online can be done at any time, from the comfort of your home, without the need to visit multiple stores.
- Can’t Test Before Purchase: When shopping online, you won’t be able to physically test the mattress before buying, making it difficult to gauge comfort and support.
- Shipping and Delivery Times: Online purchases may require waiting for shipping and delivery, which can take several days or even weeks, depending on the retailer and your location.
- Returns and Exchanges: While many online mattress companies offer generous trial periods and return policies, returning a mattress can be cumbersome and may involve additional shipping costs or logistical challenges.
To mitigate the risks associated with online shopping, research customer reviews, and look for retailers that offer trial periods and hassle-free return policies. Alternatively, you could visit a store to test mattresses in person and then search for the same model online to take advantage of lower prices and a broader selection. By considering your preferences and weighing the pros and cons of each shopping method, you can make an informed decision when purchasing a mattress for your Airbnb.
Q: What type of mattress is best for an Airbnb property?
A: A medium-firm mattress is generally considered the most universally comfortable option for a majority of guests, as it provides a balance of support and cushioning. Hybrid mattresses can be a versatile choice, offering a combination of comfort and support suitable for various sleepers. However, individual preferences may vary, so consider factors such as guest demographics, climate, and budget when making your decision.
Q: How much should I spend on a mattress for my Airbnb?
A: The amount you should spend on a mattress for your Airbnb depends on factors such as guest expectations, the overall quality of your rental property, and your budget. As a general guideline, you can expect to spend anywhere between $300 to $1,000 or more per mattress. Mid-range mattresses typically cost around $500 to $800, offering a balance between comfort, quality, and affordability.
Q: Should I purchase a mattress for my Airbnb online or in-store?
A: Both online and in-store shopping have their advantages and drawbacks. Online shopping offers a broader selection, competitive pricing, and convenience, while in-store shopping allows you to test mattresses in person, receive expert assistance, and have instant availability. Consider your preferences and weigh the pros and cons of each method to make an informed decision.
Q: How can I ensure the longevity of my Airbnb mattress?
A: To prolong the lifespan of your mattress, invest in a high-quality mattress made with durable materials and construction. Additionally, consider purchasing a waterproof and hypoallergenic mattress protector to maintain a clean and hygienic sleeping environment for your guests.
Q: Is it necessary to provide a trial period or warranty for my Airbnb mattress?
A: While it’s not necessary, having a trial period and a comprehensive warranty for your Airbnb mattress can offer peace of mind and help ensure that your investment is protected. A trial period allows you to test the mattress’s comfort and suitability for your rental property, while a warranty provides protection against defects and issues related to materials or craftsmanship.
Q: What factors should I consider when choosing a mattress for my Airbnb?
A: When selecting a mattress for your Airbnb, consider factors such as mattress type (innerspring, memory foam, latex, or hybrid), budget, durability and longevity, firmness level, guest preferences, and climate. Balancing these factors can help you make an informed decision that meets the needs of a majority of guests and contributes to positive reviews and repeat bookings.
Q: How do I determine the right mattress size for my Airbnb?
A: The appropriate mattress size depends on factors such as room dimensions, guest capacity, and target market. For smaller rooms, a full or queen-size mattress is often suitable, while larger rooms can accommodate king or California king mattresses. Consider the needs of your potential guests and the overall layout of your rental property when determining the right mattress size.
Q: How do I maintain and clean a mattress for my Airbnb?
A: Regular maintenance and cleaning can prolong the life of your mattress and ensure a clean and comfortable sleeping environment for your guests. Use a waterproof and hypoallergenic mattress protector to prevent spills, stains, and allergens from affecting the mattress. Vacuum the mattress regularly to remove dust, debris, and allergens, and spot clean any stains with a mild detergent and water. If necessary, consider hiring a professional mattress cleaning service for deep cleaning.
Q: Should I provide different firmness options for my Airbnb guests?
A: While providing multiple firmness options can cater to a wider range of guest preferences, it may not be practical for most Airbnb hosts. Instead, choose a medium-firm mattress, which is generally considered the most universally comfortable option, providing a balance of support and cushioning suitable for various sleepers.
Q: How often should I replace the mattress in my Airbnb?
A: The lifespan of a mattress depends on factors such as usage, materials, and construction quality. Generally, a mattress should be replaced every 7 to 10 years. However, for an Airbnb property with frequent guest turnover, you may need to replace the mattress more frequently due to increased wear and tear. Regularly assess the mattress’s condition, and replace it when signs of sagging, lumps, or reduced support become apparent.
Choosing the right mattress for your Airbnb property is crucial for ensuring a comfortable and restful stay for your guests. By considering factors such as mattress type, budget, durability, firmness level, and shopping method, you can make an informed decision that caters to the needs and preferences of a majority of guests.
Remember, investing in a high-quality mattress can directly impact your guests’ experience, leading to positive reviews, repeat bookings, and overall success for your rental property. Regular maintenance, cleaning, and timely replacement of your mattress will also contribute to a clean and comfortable environment that leaves a lasting impression on your guests.