Little Known Mattress Recycling Facts:
Did you know that:
- Mattresses have a life span of about 10.8 years
- Mattresses have a compaction rate 400% less than regular garbage, thus making them a problem in all landfills.
- Recycling mattresses saves energy, reduces greenhouse gases, reduces the use of natural resources and reduces waste.
- The average mattress takes up 23 cubic feet of landfill space.
- According to American Demographics, in the next 20 years recycling is going to become one the most important issues for consumers, the population boom in the United States will put a strain on our natural resources.
- Many communities are no longer accepting used mattresses in landfills, or are charging large fees for disposal.
- Many mattresses end up going to "rebuilders". "Rebuilders" claim to recycle mattresses, however, in reality, many of them put a new cover on your dirty used mattress and sell it as new. Yuck!