In 2013 Connecticut, Rhode Island and California passed mattress recycling laws that set up non-profit organizations to implement and run mattress recycling programs. They are the only states to do so thus far.
DISCARDED MATTRESS FACTS
- - Over 30 million mattresses are sent to landfills across the country each year
- - Mattresses range in size from 27 to 60 cubic feet and average 60 lbs.
- - Mattresses decompose slowly in a landfill, often taking over a decade
- - Mattresses absorb hazardous materials and store flammable pockets of air
- - If thrown in machinery, mattresses can destroy compactors due to bulkiness and metal coils